Thursday, August 3, 2017

Folding in Curved Space

If you follow this blog you know I was recently away at Penland for a two week workshop with Matt Shlian. He is an extraordinary teacher and master paper engineer (in my humble opinion). He nudged me in new creative directions by planting seemingly simple ideas in my head where they flowered and started to bear fruit. I hope the harvest will continue now that I am home. One of the ideas he suggested was folding spirals from curved paper. This idea may sound simple, but it is a challenge. Here are some pictures of my explorations in curved space...

Enjoy!

The spiral is concave and looks more shell-like than ones folded with straight lines.


A diagram of how I created the curves and fold lines.

Another view of the spiral shell showing some of the internal folds.



Compare the spiral on this shell with the one below. This one is folded with straight lines throughout and is convex.


This shell has a concave spiral when folded from a curved piece of paper.

The paper pre-creased and ready to collapse.

1 comment:

  1. hey you are awesome please share how to do first picture i want to try

    ReplyDelete