Wednesday, December 9, 2015

CAP Book

It's December and I have been so busy that this is the first time I am sitting down to blog in a month. I have been a member of San Diego Book Arts for 14 years and next year is our 20th anniversary as an art organization. To commemorate this achievement a group of 40 members got together several times this year to create a collaborative art project (CAP). Each person created a piece based on member Diane Gage's moon haiku. The art was photographed and reproduced on 9 x 12 paper to be bound into books for an exhibit celebrating the anniversary. I did not create an art work for the book, but was asked to bind a book as a fundraiser for the project. Below are images of my book in progress. I based the structure on Elizabeth Steiner's Moeraki Boulders, which is bound through the middle of the pages. I created binding strips from a second set of prints of the book so that there is interplay between the works and their companions. I hope you like the results as much as I do.

Enjoy.
-Gina


Pages with slits cut for the binding strips.

Sample binding strip.






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work and the interactive binding is charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It is a bit tricky to start the binding, but I love the results.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gina - I love that you colored outside the box by bringing in an unusual binding. You should teach a class on this! It reminded me of Claire Van Vliet's work. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade, it is based on an example in Claire Van Vliet and Elizabeth Steiner's book Woven and Interlocking Book Structure. They both use similar bindings. Thanks for the feedback. It is always great to hear from you.

      Delete